Carney, Wells winners at El Paso Speedway Park
May 11, 2012 | by Sarah Stevens
EL PASO, Texas -- It was a crazy night at El Paso Speedway Park on Friday night.
With rains and wind delaying the show, the show went on and we appreciate our loyal fans and drivers for sticking with us through it to get a night of racing in.
Heat race action got started much later than we would have liked with the USRA HotMods. Heat 1 went to Rob Madrid, heat 2 went to Austin Adams and heat 3 went to Jonathan Barcena.
The main event, however, would prove to be quite a race.
Losing two strong competitors in Javier Zapien Jr. and Donovan Flores to the wall in turn 4, it would be last year’s USRA HotMod track champion Pat Carney taking home the win after an end-of-race surge to edge out Jonathan Barcena.
Barcena was undeniably one of the fastest cars out there last night and is proving to be a force in the USRA HotMod class.
In USRA Stock Car racing, where it appears the rivalries are forming, it was Frank Ray Jr. taking heat 1, Jerrad Warhurst taking heat 2 and Troy Wells taking heat 3.
The best way to describe the main event was tires ... if they weren't coming off the cars prior the race or in turn 1, they were getting cut.
Losing Colby Ellis and teammate Jerrad Warhurst to tires just falling off, we also saw the leader of the race, Ray, leave the track with a cut tire and Steve Jones, who definitely was headed in the right direction for the win, losing a tire.
But in the end, with the crowd’s hands up in the air and on their feet,, it was Wells taking the win with Bryan Wells very close behind.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
American Racer USRA Weekly Racing Series
El Paso Speedway Park, El Paso, Texas
Friday, May 11, 2012
1. (7) 5X Patrick Carney, El Paso
2. (1) 22 Jonathan Barcena, El Paso
3. (5) 50 Austin Adams, El Paso
4. (13) 52TX Paddy Rush, El Paso
5. (4) 38 Hector Prigione, Hurley, N.M.
6. (10) 66 Sam Alonso, El Paso
7. (6) 12 Rob Madrid, El Paso
8. (12) 47 Mingo Jauregui, El Paso
9. (9) 74 Danny Bretado, El Paso
10. (3) 08 Daniel Lozoya, El Paso
11. (8) 07 Donovan Flores, Las Cruces, N.M.
12. (2) M1Z Javier Zapian Jr., El Paso
13. (11) 07J George Jauregui, El Paso
USRA STOCK CARS
1. (5) 83 Troy Wells, El Paso
2. (7) 202 Bryan Wells, El Paso
3. (4) 33H Mark Kimpel, El Paso
4. (9) 17J Jon McDaniel, Alamagordo, N.M.
5. (8) 15X Sean Bowman, El Paso
6. (15) 13 David Fountain, El Paso
7. (12) 711 Mike Wells, El Paso
8. (3) 3 Jennifer Munn, El Paso
9. (6) 88 Ozzie Noder, El Paso
10. (14) 12I Iris Neri, El Paso
11. (13) 00ET Ed Engle, El Paso
12. (10) 41 Steve Jones, El Paso
13. (1) 55 Frank Ray Jr., El Paso
14. (2) 7 Jerrad Warhurst, El Paso
15. (11) 08 Mike Medina, El Paso
DNS - 22 Justin Lasiter, Alamagordo, N.M.
DNS - 21 Colby Ellis, El Paso
DNS - 17M Chris Mijares, El Paso
DNS - 71 Wes Benson, El Paso
March 5, 2014Kenny Wallace enters May 22 USRA Modified event at Lucas Oil Speedway
Nine-time NASCAR Nationwide Series winner Kenny Wallace will run his first race at Lucas Oil Speedway in the USRA Modified event on May 22.read more
March 5, 2014Upper Iowa Speedway, Cresco Speedway post joint 2014 schedule
Officials from the Upper Iowa Speedway in Decorah, Iowa have released their 2014 schedule of events which will encompass events at both the Upper Iowa Speedway and Cresco Speedway in Cresco, Iowa.read more
March 2, 2014Southern New Mexico Speedway raises the bar for 15th Annual USRA Fall Nationals, Oct. 15-18
This past weekend during the 20th Annual Winter Meltdown, Southern New Mexico Speedway's Royal Jones announced some exciting details regarding the 15th Annual USRA Fall Nationals, set for Oct. 15-18.read more
March 1, 2014Smith snags Superbowl Speedway opener
Cody Smith grabbed the lead from Billy Brierton on lap 13 and led the final seven laps to win the USRA Modified main event on opening night at the Superbowl Speedway on Saturday, March 1.read more
February 27, 2014Schrader enters April 11-12 USRA Modified event at Lucas Oil Speedway
Ken Schrader will compete at Lucas Oil Speedway in the Pitts Homes USRA Modifieds on April 11-12, part of the 1st Annual My Fox 22 Lucas Oil Spring Nationals presented by RacingJunk.com.read more